27 August 2010

Wax on, wax off, lather, rinse, repeat...

Back in June of 1984, my buddy Jason Coffey's grandma, Sybil, took us to go see "The Karate Kid".  We thought that was the coolest thing ever!  Of course as we were walking out, Sybil started talking about all of these chores we should do - maybe we, too, could become black belts in karate somehow by working in the chicken house.  I dunno if it would have worked - we just went back and started riding his 4-wheeler.  That sounded like much more fun. 

Years later, every time I wash and wax my car (like that happens often :-D) I, of course, think of good ol' Mr. Miyagi saying that now famous phrase.  Nowadays, though, I also think of this song, by a band from L.A. called No More Kings, which my old band, Earl, played with a few years ago.  The video is hilarious!

In addition to the obvious reference to "The Karate Kid", when washing the cars, I also think about KYMC, which was a radio station owned by the West County YMCA from 1978 to 2008, and was the precursor to 105.7 The Point as far as playing alternative music in the 80s and early 90s. 

I remember the first time I'd ever heard that station was when Jenny and I first started dating, and I had just bought a '92 Mitsubishi Eclipse.  We were in her mom's driveway out there in Ballwin washing and waxing our cars and I had just run across that station, so we were listening to it.  At that particular time, though, instead of alternative, they were playing a bunch of 80s music - some more obscure stuff, not like the same tired crap you always heard on The River or Y98 - so I loved that. 

Today's stroke is a little dollop of Unbleached Titanium, because that's the color I thought of when I opened up the wax.  Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go "sand and stain the closet doors".  Jenny hasn't yet told me what kind of cool karate moves I'll be able to do once I finish those.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment