13 August 2010

Friggatriskaidekaphobia? Uh, what, now?

I've had another relatively uneventful, yet relaxing day of vacation.  Got up, lazed around, chatted with my beautiful wife, and then I left her.  No, not for good, silly!  I just wanted to do my thang for a little while. 

I grabbed my bass and took it over to Skip Goez' place to get fixed.  We're doing the big Free Dirt show tonight, kind of a warm up for a short comedy movie, also entitled "Free Dirt" (not about us, just featuring our music). 

Now I'm not superstitious - never really have been, but I did find it a bit odd that this morning, all of a sudden, I realized I had lost a set screw out of the bridge on my bass.  That's not something that you can find *snap* just like that.  Great.  What am I gonna do about a bass for this evening?  Luckily Paul, the awesome dude who plays keyboards at church, as well as my main band, The Janson Gates, happens to have exactly the same bass as mine, just in a different color.  Score!

Anyway, after I dropped my bass off to get fixed, I headed towards Clayton/U.City to bum around the old college stomping grounds a bit.  Drove through the parking lot there at Fontbonne and looked around at St. Joe's dorm, just to reminisce a bit, then drove on down to The Loop (kind of an artsy-college-kid-hipster area of town) and dropped by Vintage Vinyl, an old record store I used to spend way too much time and money in, to see if my buddy Leon was there.  We've been wanting to get together to just grab a beer and shoot the breeze for quite a while now.   Unfortunately, he was busy (so busy, in fact that they couldn't even find him there at VV!), so I guess our rendezvous will have to wait some more.  No problem. 

I decided to go to one of my favorite restaurants, Seki, for a little bite o' sushi.  Other than the mediocre (at best) sushi my sister, Jo Beth, and I had a few weeks ago in Springfield, I hadn't had sushi in a couple of years!  I really love that stuff!  My stroke today is a bright orange, just lightly dragged across some of the glass beads, to look like the smelt roe (fish eggs) that they use in sushi rolls. 

After that, I stopped by Componere, an art gallery, just to look around, maybe get some ideas.  There were a LOT of great pieces in there - mostly by artists from Missouri and neighboring states.  It's amazing to me how much talent is around here!  I'll tell you more about some of that stuff later on, but right now I gotta go RAWK!  In 100° weather, outside, but rawk nonetheless. \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment