18 August 2010

Fogey-ism is alive and well in Affton, MO...

First day of school around these parts.  Every year we're reminded of how many kids do actually live on our block.  We never know during the summer - you never see any of them outside!  Never!  I don't know about you, but we used to play outside when we were growing up.  Granted I spent my share of time in front of the television, but it was mostly in the evening.  I used to ride my bike over to Jason Coffey's house, or Terrell Varner's house all of the time! Both houses were a good several miles away - sometimes I'd make the trip more than once in a day! 

I'm guessing that none of these kids ventured off of the couch the entire summer.  We've probably got well over 20 kids on our block, and Jenny and I literally saw 2 of them the whole time - one of them simply because he lives across the street!  It makes me sad, actually, that the parents don't make them put down the Nintendo control and get outside.  It's really no wonder the childhood obesity rate is through the roof!  Okay, I'll take my Geritol and shut up now. :-)

Anyway, another thing that I always forget about on the first day of school is the traffic.  I was just barely on time for work!  I forgot to leave a couple of minutes earlier, but I guess everyone else didn't!  Today's stroke is yellow and red, for all of the school buses and brake lights I saw this morning.  Coming home wasn't quite as bad, though - and I even saw a couple of kids outside on our block!  It's a "First Day Of School Miracle"! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment