12 October 2010

Save us, Radio Randy!

Well, I spent a good chunk of the day outside scraping out old caulking and sweeping it all up so I could re-caulk it all.  Just wanted to get the back room a little more guarded against the elements, especially before the elements started in again this winter!  This caulking is some nasty ol' stuff, too - not exactly something I wanted to do while in my Sunday best!  I loaded up on rags, though, and I had my trusty 5-in-1 tool, and I was set.  I tell you what, that tool is amazing!  I'd like to buy the guy who invented it a beer!

As I was doing that, Jenny pointed out that the window sills out there also needed a new coat of white paint - it's been over 5 years, and some of it was starting to peel a little bit.  So I think we tracked down the bright white paint we need for that, to go with the bright white caulk (which, I know, should have been clear, but hey, what are ya gonna do - I'm using stuff that was already here!).  I did do a white stroke today just for all this white - figured maybe it was a sign! :-)

One thing that made the day go by faster, and made this little task a little more bearable, though, was the rock.  I was in a classic rock mood, so I put on PlanetRadio.us, which is a new online radio station put together by Randy Raley, a former KSHE jock who, like most of us, was just sick of how corporate and just plain boring and sucky commercial radio has gotten over the last 15 or 20 years.

He was sick of how radio stations can't play whatever they want now, how they're completely run by having "focus groups" to decide what songs should be played, and most of all having only a couple hundred songs in the entire playlist!  I mean honestly - you can pretty much tell the time by what song KSHE's playing these days - there's Guns and Roses - must be 9 am (or 10 am, or 11 am).

You can't even call up a radio station to request a song anymore - most times there's no one even there!  It's all automated now!  And the "people" you hear talking between the songs?  Yeah, they recorded that stuff in Akron,OH, or wherever, and sent that out to about 50 other stations, too!  Man, it's just sickening.  I really miss old radio.  I mean, granted, you can't exactly call up and request something online, but Randy has plenty of places on the website for you to comment, and make suggestions for his ever-expanding playlist (which, I believe, has several thousand songs right now, and he's always adding more - no worries of hearing the same thing over and over, that's for sure!).

This station is almost as good as the only other saving grace on the airwaves, KDHX, 88.1 here in St. Louis.  I'm pretty sure I've told you about them, and I'll probably talk more about them at a later date, but I've ranted enough here, and I need to go get ready for art class! :-)  Ta ta, and happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment