23 October 2010

Playin' catch-up (part 1)...

Thursday morning we went down to Cassville, where my mom lives (for those of you who don't know) to go see "The Show", which is a musical revue that she plays for every year, along with the band "The Hometown Sound".  She plays flute and keyboards, and occasionally sings.  They've been doing this show for almost 20 years now, during Cassville's big Fall Festival weekend.  Included in the Fall Festival is also a big Chili Cookoff and street festival on the town square around the courthouse. 

Every year for "The Show", there's a different theme, and this year it was "TV and movies".   They started off with a medley of old TV show theme songs, then went on to do another 2 hours of different songs from movies and such, including "Staying Alive" from "Saturday Night Fever", "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life" from "Dirty Dancing", and "Footloose", which my lovely and talented sister, Katie, sang. 

All in all I think this year's "Show" was probably one of the strongest, if not the best one they've done.  The band was really tight this year - they really had to practice a lot; especially the medleys.  They always had to be thinking ahead to the next song so they could keep it going without pause. 

Anyway, today's (well, Thursday's - couldn't get to a computer this weekend so now I"m playing catch-up) stroke actually has nothing to do with any of this.  Katie's oldest daughter, Atala, was there at mom's house (or "Oma", as the girls call her - German for "Grandma"), and any time she's around I let her help me with my daily stroke.  She picked yellow, and also picked where to put it - right in the middle of the canvas.  I even let her help me hold the brush!   Luckily I was already kind of thinking about using yellow at some point this weekend - more on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment