09 October 2010

A little word association...

So today is John Lennon's birthday.  He would have been 70 years old.  It's been 30 years since that jackass, the same man who had just obtained an autograph from Lennon a few hours prior, waited in front of the Dakota (the apartment in which Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono lived) and shot Lennon to death.  

Thinking about this today, and seeing the multitudes of my friends on Facebook posting "Happy Birthdays" and videos made me want to do a little play on words, so as a joke, I said, "I thought that Lenin's birthday was in April. Do Russians have 2 birthdays?"  Thinking of Lenin made me think of Karl Marx, which made me think about Groucho Marx, which then led to Harpo Marx.  I then skipped the obvious reference to Oprah Winfrey (whose production company is named "Harpo") and just thought of harps.  This, of course, led me to think about my late Aunt Phyllis, who was a harpist, as well as the Director of Education at Carnegie Hall.  She was also one of the founders, in 1974, of the Three Rivers Young People's Orchestra, which is still around today.  

Anyway, I decided to pay tribute to Phyllis today with a harp-inspired gold stroke.   I really miss you, Aunt Phyllis!  Oh, you too, John.  You were okay, too.  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment