27 October 2010

Not too runny, not too thick...

Well I started working on the back room today, finally.  It's a four-season room, and it's in dire need of some major caulking!  We started off a few weeks ago caulking the outside, but found that water was still getting in.  No good. 


The first thing I needed to do in order to get this project done was to get rid of all the mold and calcification on the floor.  I had to get down there with my handy-dandy 5-in-1 tool and scrape it all out.  No biggie.  After that, I did a little research on these here intarnets, and came up with a nice little concoction to get rid of the calcium deposits: baking soda and vinegar!  I thought that might make a nice salad dressing, but that tells you how much I know about food!  I sure do love to eat it, but I know nothing about making it!  Turns out that when you pour vinegar into baking soda it foams up - it was almost like a 3rd grade science experiment in our kitchen, only I never learned that stuff back then (or if I did I have LONG since forgotten it, which is entirely possible!). 

We'll do the actual caulking tomorrow - we discovered that the caulk we bought earlier is prone to attracting mildew.  As my Aunt Phyllis would say,"This will not do!"  So tomorrow morning, I'll go to Lowes to grab some different caulk, and to grab some of that good old blue tape to keep my caulking looking half-way decent!

Anyway, I decided (actually, I got the idea from my lovely wife) to make today's stroke a white with some glass beads, to represent the little vinegar-and-baking-powder concoction I mixed up today.  It's all about friction, baby!  Get those calcium deposits off of there!  I got sick of calcium back when the whole "Got Milk" thing took off - I already know I like milk, I don't need a stupid slogan!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment