12 September 2010

You're looking so good, everything's in place...

Yay!  It's the first Rams game today!  Let's see if they can actually pull off a win!  Arizona's looking really tough!  But enough about that - I've probably bored you to tears about football lately.  More importantly is that I've got an audition for a cover band this evening (by the way that particular link is for my baby:-D).  For those of you not "down with the lingo", a cover band plays other people's music, as opposed to playing "original music".  Not trying to sound condescending at all to anyone, but I do run across people occasionally who aren't familiar with that term. 

Anyway, this is an audition to play bass.  They do mostly old 60s and 70s soul/R&B-types stuff: (Sittin' On The) Dock Of The Bay, Ain't No Sunshine, Stand By Me, Soul Man, etc., with a smattering of classic rock: some old Rolling Stones, Sweet Home Alabama, etc.  They sent me a set list and immediately I knew 30 out of the 37 songs, so that's good.  I actually had to borrow a bass from my buddy Paul because mine's in the shop getting a tune-up.  I told the guy a while back that I didn't need it any time soon not knowing that I'd be doing any auditions. 

They are an established, working band, so I'm really hoping I can make a little money (actually I'd love to make a lot of money, but that may come later).  This will be the first cover band I've been in since about 1994, when I was in a classic rock band out of Washington, MO called "Shameless".  We had a pretty good time for a couple of years, but it was a good hour or so drive to practice every week, plus all of the gigs were down there - or farther!  Plus I was invited to play bass with Free Dirt.  That was the start of my love affair with playing original music.  I'd much rather be playing originals, but right now we need money, and you can't make any around here playing originals.  People here only want to hear what they already know, not take a chance on something else that they don't know, but might possibly enjoy (but don't get me started on that whole phenomenon). 

So now, I must study up a little more on some bass lines, plus watch the rest of the Rams game (which is 10-10 at the half, BTW), so I'll leave you today with a stroke in honor of the first song on the set list: "Green Onions".  Feel the groove, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment