23 September 2010

Be good to me, I'll be good to you - we'll be together!

You know what today marks the anniversary of?  Really?  You don't know?  Well, I'll tell you then: on this date in 1989 something happened that completely changed life for all of us - "Baywatch" premiered on NBC.  Yes, that's right, Baywatch.  Don't tell me you've never seen it, because I know it's a lie.  And even if it's not a lie, you know you've at least seen footage of "The Hoff", or some of the lovely blonde scenery bouncing about on promos and such. 

I found out something interesting today in passing - and it just happened to be that today was the anniversary of the show's premiere: the show was going to be cancelled from NBC in 1991, but, seeing that it had great potential (or at least he hoped it did), David Hasselhoff (Mitch Buchannon from the series) fronted the money himself to put it into syndication.  And aren't we all better people for that. Right.  :-)

Well, besides the anniversary of a TV show about a bunch of pretty people bouncing around half-naked, today is also a date that holds so much more of a place in my heart.  It's probably (besides my birth date) the most important day in my life: the anniversary of my wedding to my lovely bride, Jenny.  It was such a beautiful day, too!  It was, I believe, in the low 80s and sunny the whole day - which was really nice for the first day of autumn!

We had our wedding, which, of course, went off without a hitch, and then the reception over at the Knights Of Columbus hall (which is now some computer company or something - you know times are tough with the KoC are knocked outta business!). 

Most of the day is a blur to me, actually - everything happened so quickly!  I do, however, remember the first couple of dances we had.  We didn't want to do the usual schmoopy-doopy love song slow dance, so we decided we'd learn a few swing dance moves from my best friend, Brian, and his wife, Jennifer.  Yeah, so we weren't so great at that, but we got the job done well enough.  We danced to The Spiral Starecase's one-hit-wonder, "More Today Than Yesterday".  I do believe we also danced to Al Green's song "Let's Stay Together".  Man, do I love those songs - especially the Al Green!  I defy you to *not* dance at all when you hear that song - even if it's just a little shimmy here and there!  You can't *not* dance!  He's just that awesome, kinda like Jenny!

Anyway, it's been 9 glorious, fun-filled, love-filled years with my best friend, my wife.  She's been so good to me, and for me - she makes me want to be a better person, and she also provides the means for me to do so. We've got so many items on our list of things we want to do, and I promise her that eventually I will make it possible for us to do those things! 

Today's stroke (and yes, if you look at the time stamp, it is actually after midnight - I had band practice tonight - yes, she's just that awesome to let me go to band practice on our anniversary!) is another nice little green, for the Right Reverend.  Happy Anniversary, baby!  Got you on my mi-i-i-i-i-i-i-ind!

No comments:

Post a Comment