25 September 2010

Eins, Zwei, Drei, Zuppa!

Well, today was my first gig with The In-House Band.  We played over at Growler's Pub, for their annual "Oktoberfest" celebration, which was also a benefit for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  I got there at 10:30 a.m., then realized I had forgotten one of my speakers, so back home I went.  I got back there about 45 minutes later, we got set up, and away we went.  For only having 3 short practices, we did pretty well.  Some of our endings were a little rough, but overall it wasn't too bad. 

It was interesting seeing all of the different outfits, too: dirndls (no, that's not missing any vowels), lederhosen, and Tyrolean Hats everywhere!  At one point in the day a whole group of people (some of which were actually from Germany) commandeered the microphone and led the crowd in some rousing German folk songs.   That was pretty darned amusing!

They had a whole slew of microbrews to try, too - from Goose Island to Schlafly, there were all sorts of different beers for different tastes. 

The whole day reminded me of a few years ago when my cousin, Heidi, married a German guy.  All of his family came over from Germany.  They dressed in traditional clothing for the wedding, sang a lot of the same songs.  You haven't lived until you've heard a bunch of drunk Germans phonetically singing "Take Me Home Country Roads" by John Denver! 

The even brought over a few bottles of a microbrew from their village, not too far outside of Munich.  I tell you what, that is, to this day, the best beer I've ever had in my life! 

Today I mixed up a little green and yellow, to represent the color of the lederhosen.  Maybe I'll get some lederhosen.  I think I'd look pretty swell in them!  Here's to those crazy Germans! Zicke, Zacke, Zicke, Zacke, Hoi, Hoi, Hoi!

No comments:

Post a Comment