26 September 2010

Measles make you bumpy, and mumps'll make ya lumpy...

So I'm sitting here flipping back and forth between the football game (Washington Redskins vs. the Rams downtown) and the Cards' final game against the Cubs this year up at Wrigley Field.  I've got to make it up there one of these times to actually see a game at Wrigley before MLB decides that they want a brand new stadium for the rich folks and tear it down like they have all of the other old historic stadiums ( Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, the old Yankee Stadium, and Candlestick Park in San Fransisco - well, that one's still there for the next couple of years, they just play 49ers football there, not Giants baseball). 

Watching this game (which, unfortunately will be the second to last one I'll get to see on regular TV: all the games next year will be on cable, as opposed to at least one a week being on channel 5) got me thinking about all those old stadiums, and what makes them unique and memorable.  The old Busch Stadium (r.i.p.) had that cool circular design, Fenway Park in Boston has the Big Green Monster, and Wrigley's got all those loser Cubs fans - er, I mean all that ivy on the outfield wall.  The ivy (which has swallowed up many a ball, not to mention players) was planted in 1937, the same year they built the bleachers and the scoreboard, in an effort to cushion the outfield wall, so players didn't just knock themselves silly running into it! 

Anyway, I know one of these days I'll get to go see the ivy in person.  In the mean time, I'll just have to be happy with my green stroke today.  Maybe they'll hold off on building a new stadium until the Cubbies win a World Series.  That ought to give me plenty of time! :-D

P.S. - my boy Sam Bradford and the Rams finally won today - and they looked spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment