13 September 2010

Hi, Coo!

Many, many moons ago my Uncle Mike had a pet dove.  I think it was my sisters, Katie and Jo Beth who named it "Coo" (named, of course, for the sound it made).  I'm pretty sure it had to be them - I can't see Mike, a big ol' grizzly of a man, and a Vietnam veteran naming anything "Coo".  I can't remember where he got the bird, but I know that the girls ended up "adopting" him.

I had pretty much forgotten about ol' Coo until Saturday when Jenny and I were on our way down to Jim and Kari's house.  I looked over to our left, and there was a bright white dove, just flying down to land in a parking lot.  Now there are a lot of birds here in St. Louis - mostly dirty old pigeons, but not a whole lot of doves, and definitely no bright white ones! 

Anyway, something today, again, reminded me of Coo, so I figured that was a sign that I should do a white - or at least an off-white stroke for the old bird.  It's been probably 20 years, but it seems like he was a really light grey.  I'm sure I'll hear otherwise from my sisters if I'm incorrect.  :-)

I also wrote a couple of verses of haiku for the occasion:

We saw a white dove
At Hampton and Chippewa
Landed at IHOP

Here comes a big car
Fly away fast, little dude
'Fore you get splattered

Ozzy was not there
Might have mistaken you for
Light chicken breakfast

Hey, no one ever said I was a poet!




No comments:

Post a Comment