25 May 2010

This is a really volcanic ensemble you're wearing, it's really marvelous!

There's this book that I'm almost finished with called "You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried", by Susannah Gora, which is all about the John Hughes movies of the 80s (think "Sixteen Candles", "Breakfast Club", and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off") and the effect those movies had on not only pop culture, but society as a whole - how we began to think about life after watching them.  I wasn't really that fond of her style of writing - she seemed way too much like a "fan-girl", or someone writing for a teen magazine or something.  I did, though, enjoy the behind-the-scenes stories on all of the movies she did cover.  There were a lot of things I already knew ( just because I'm a movie/music/pop-culture geek), but then there were a lot of things I didn't know at all, and that was kinda fun!   I guess all in all, I would recommend the book if you are a huge fan of that particular genre of movies.  Just don't expect some sort of masterpiece in literature - or even correct grammar and punctuation in a lot of it.

Okay, enough griping!  The book did, at least, inspire a nice little pink stroke!  I tell you what, I'll never forget the night I first saw "Pretty In Pink"!  I was a member of one of those "BMG Music Clubs" or something like that - one of the ones where they send you 8 cassettes (!) for one penny.  I finished watching the movie, watched the credits, and as soon as I turned off the VCR I ran into my room and filled out the little order card, ordering the soundtrack to the movie!  The film itself just made that much of an impact on me, but the soundtrack itself was absolutely brilliant!  I still listen to it to this day, at least once every month or two!

By the way, I always thought Andie should have gone with Duckie.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
You're still here?

No comments:

Post a Comment