01 March 2010

Happy Trout Day, everybody!

Yes, it's March 1st, Trout Day.  What is Trout Day, you ask?  It is, for you non-Southwest Missouri people, the first day of trout season.  This is a holiday where I grew up.  Area schools actually let the kids off that day.  That started back when I was in high school.  I remember going to school on March 1 and being almost the only one in class.  The banks of Roaring River are almost dangerously crowded.  If ever there was a day perfect for knocking over a convenience store in Cassville (Disclaimer: do not do this) March 1 is your day.   Here's an article written by a Cassville alum who wrote for The Harvard Crimson newspaper on the subject.  It's just nuts, folks!

There are a lot of outdoorsy-type guys where I work.  Maybe eventually I can get them to declare it a holiday there, too.  It could happen!

I decided to forego the paintbrush again - it's hard to do a one-stroke tribute to the fish that gives so many children the joy of a day off without using a knife.  Oh, and I also couldn't let today go without giving all of you a present.  You're welcome!  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment