09 March 2010

Cheeeeeez...

I love cheese.  Colby, cheddar, good ol' fashioned American, gouda, havarti, manchego, mozzeralla - man, I kinda sound like Bubba from "Forrest Gump".  You get the point.

I guess I like just plain cheesy things, too, though - old 80s movies like "One Crazy Summer", or "Revenge Of The Nerds".  Cheesy music, though, is some of my favorite stuff in the world.  Ask anyone who knows me and they'll tell you I've got some of the cheesiest albums ever.  I've got hair metal out the wazoo - your garden variety, everyday stuff everyone's heard of, like Poison and Bon Jovi, but also the really obscure, off the charts stuff like Trixter, Tall Stories, Danger Danger, Vixen, XYZ and Hericane Alice.

I love all the 80s one-hit wonders, too.  I love to search for a song that I haven't heard in a decade or two, although that's getting harder to do, with the advent of teh intarnets and all.  You can just about find anything in the world!  One of my favorite cheeseballs is from someone people don't associate with music, really.

Back in the mid-80s I was a HUGE fan of the TV show "Moonlighting".  I watched it religiously.  I especially loved Bruce Willis's character David Addison.  He was just cooler than cool.  Then he started doing the commercials for Seagram's Golden Wine Coolers (which I don't think I ever tried) and I thought that was cooler, for some strange reason.  Then it happened.  He recorded an album. "The Return Of Bruno" (I believe that was his nickname when he was a bartender/aspiring musician/actor in the early 80s) came out in January of 1987.  Not to critical acclaim.  I didn't see any of the reviews - I just wasn't into that yet - but I'm sure it was probably universally panned.  The first (and, I think, only) single was a cover of an old Staples Singers song called "Respect Yourself".  Most likely due to his popularity on "Moonlighting" and "Die Hard, the song went all the way to #5 on the Billboard pop charts, which is exactly the same as Don Johnson's song "Heartbeat" did a few months prior.  Wow.  Now that's magically cheeze-tastic. 

Okay, I could probably go on and on about these kinds of things, but thankfully for my dignity, I have to go get ready for class.  So here's a little swipe of cheddar orange for you, Bruno.  Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment