20 March 2010

Ya gotta know when to hold 'em...

...and I really don't.  I'm really not that great a poker player - which really wouldn't matter, except that I'm going to my buddy Jeff's 5th annual poker party tonight.  It should be a lot of fun, though - I've been to every one now, and we always have a blast.  Even if I don't win (I average about 2 or 3 hands a night) it's still a great night, because we've got the NCAA tourney on his big ol' teevee, some tasty, frosty beverages, and a really great roast beef sammich that he makes every year.  Mmmmmm, drooooool!  Sorry. :-)

This year will be a little different, though, as half of the winnings will go to a charity to be decided upon tonight.  I told him I voted for the "Save The Dave Foundation", and that he could just make the check out to me - I'd find a good use for it. 

Every time this night comes around I think of the ultimate poker song - and no, I don't mean Lady Gaga.  It is, of course, The Gambler, by the only man I know that rivals Joan Rivers in the inability to blink due to the amount of facelifts they've had: Kenny Rogers.   Man, back in the day that guy could do no wrong!  I remember watching the movie "Six Pack", and thought it was awesome!  I wonder if it's held up at all - I'll have to look it up sometime and watch it. 

Well, I hope you enjoyed today's red stroke - in honor of the where I'll be financially at the end of the night. In the red :-D.  I'll give half my money to charity, and probably the other half to Walter.  He's a Kansas Jayhawks fan, too, so that makes it even harder to give it to him!   Oh, well - it's still a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment