17 March 2010

Mardi Gras II: Electric Tura Luraloo

I'd like to thank my buddy Jeff Hess for giving me that title.  That's what he called the big St. Patrick's Day celebration, and I just thought that was hilarious.  For those of you who don't know the reference, it's a take on a pretty bad movie from the 80s (sorry, Jenny - I know it's a guilty pleasure of yours!).

I don't know about where you live (if you don't live in the St. Louis area) but St. Patty's Day is pretty huge around here, especially in Dogtown, which was where the Irish immigrants first settled.  We've got a parade downtown on the Saturday beforehand (if Saturday's not actually the 17th) and then there's another parade in Dogtown on the actual day.  Both are pretty well packed, but obviously the Dogtown one is just plain crazy!  They start at the crack of dawn partying, and I'm sure some of 'em don't stop until they realize they have to shower and get ready for work the next day!

Both going to work and coming home today I saw all sorts of people with all their green top hats and masks and beads, etc.  I don't really celebrate the day - I don't know that I've ever even been to the parade.  I remember one year Jenny and I forgot that the parade was going on and we were trying to get to Forest Park, and the way we went was down Hampton, which is right next to Dogtown.  It took us about an hour to get a mile.  As soon as we could, we cut down a side street and got the hell outta Dodge!  Ever since then I haven't even had the slightest desire to go down there!

Well, today, despite the fact that I don't celebrate, I decided to go ahead and grab every green I had in my box (plus a bit of white to break it up) and smear it on there.  It's only a couple different shades, but that's okay.  It actually reminds me a bit of a bar of Irish Spring. *insert happy-go-lucky Irish whistle here*

No comments:

Post a Comment