15 February 2010

Lessons from Josh Baskin...

I was looking through the movies over at the library the other day and saw that they had the deluxe edition of "Big" - one of my favorites of all time.  I've got it on DVD, but I didn't have the deeeeeluxe edition, and really didn't want to spend the money on it just to see the extra footage and the commentaries - I love that stuff, but it's not like I'm going to watch that stuff over and over.  So, I grabbed it and popped it in tonight.  I've always thought it was an amazing movie, and that Hanks did a great job portraying a 12-year-old, but I didn't know until now that he was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe for the role (he won the Golden Globe, but not the Oscar)!  I also remembered that this was the movie that made me love Mercedes Ruehl!  I've loved her in everything I've ever seen her in!

I did watch the extended version, with about 20 more minutes of footage.  Some of it I really liked - I could see why they took it out, as it just kind of took away from the flow of the movie, and some of it was just too long.  There was one scene in particular, though, that I'm so glad they took out - it just completely took away from the mystique of the movie.  I'll have to watch the commentaries later. 

Anyway, I was watching that, occasionally glancing over at the painting, and I got to thinking about the theme of the movie - that bigger isn't necessarily always better.  I figured then that I'd been focusing too much on big strokes.  I knew then what I had to do.  Little stroke, yo!  Just in case you don't see it, here's a closer view.  I got a little bit of an idea from ma, so I went with that.  I'll let you draw your own conclusion.

Oh, and just for a bonus this evening, here's someone else explaining big and little for us:  Hi-Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment