20 February 2010

I come from the land of the ice and snow...

...from the midnight sun, where the hot springs blow.  These lyrics are from the song "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin.  That was the song that really got me into LZ, because I heard it on the radio, but they didn't say the name of the song, so I bought every Zeppelin album I came across until I found that song.  I was glad I did it that way, actually, because I found a lot of really great music in the process.  I was going to post a video of the song, but thanks to Shrek 3, most of you who weren't already fans already have probably heard it, anyway.  Plus, when I went to look it up on youtube, I came across this piece which is much more interesting (despite the fact that it gets cut off mid-song; sorry about that).  The song is by an Icelandic group called Sigur Ros (don't ask me how to pronounce it), and they are a mostly instrumental group that performs these beautiful, for lack of a better word, "soundscapes" that are so filled with emotion - they can take you through a whole roller coaster ride in one song!  And the singer sings in a made up language, so no one really knows what he's talking about - it's just all about the emotion in the music!  How cool is that?  Well, it's cool for someone like me who doesn't really listen to lyrics.  I'm all about music, baby!  These guys are so into the fact that you should solely concentrate on their music, that one of their albums was simply titled "( )", and it had no song titles. 

I'm actually on my way out the door to meet some buddies of mine to go see a Led Zeppelin tribute band - that was what started this whole thing in the first place.  I was feeling a bit rushed, so I grabbed my pallet and chose 3 colors that were kind of together, and here we have it.  It's kind of funny because this stroke actually looks like a continuation of the yellow and white one with a little blue in it just above.  Didn't really plan it that way, but there ya go. 

Well, I'm off to climb the Stairway To Heaven.  Or maybe just the Elevator to Menswear.

No comments:

Post a Comment