10 July 2010

This next jam is for the ladies only...

Well Jenny and I went somewhere we hadn't been in well over 2 decades: a skating rink.  Yes, and apparently these things are still stuck in 1985 - complete with a Ms. Pac Man and Galaga video game!  If it would have had a Centipede machine, I may very well have still been there now!   It totally brought me back to 8th grade, skating on the wooden floor at Razorback Roller Rink in Rogers, Arkansas.

We didn't actually go to skate, though.  We accompanied our little cousin, Sweet Pea, on a birthday party up there for a friend of hers.  The place was pretty well packed, actually, which was something I didn't expect.  I just didn't think kids skated anymore!  I'm glad I was wrong - everyone seemed like they were just having a blast! 

It took a few laps around for SP to get used to the skates again - she hadn't been in a few years.  She kind of crept along the wall at first, but then she was up and rolling!  She actually spent a good amount of time helping a friend of hers learn to skate, which was so sweet!  She really has the biggest heart of any kid I know! 

Turns out they still do the "Hokey Pokey" and the "Bunny Hop", too!  I think I saw every person in that place on their butt at least once - no one was safe!  Even the "pros", whom you could tell skated all the time, ended up falling at least once. 

After the party we came home, and, as is tradition when SP is over at our place, she gets to do a stroke on the painting.  Today she picked Jenny's favorite light purple, which is funny, because it's almost the exact same color as the shirt she wore skating today!

Maybe next time Jenny and I will bring our socks and actually venture out on the rink floor!  We can do the couple's skate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment