07 July 2010

It's "Aunt" (ahhhhhnt), not "Ant"...

Well, folks, today's another quick installment - I've got class tonight (ya mean every other night you have no class, Dave?  Har Har!)  so I just figured I'd put the first thing that popped into my head down onto the canvas.  Today is July 7th, 2010.  It is the 8-year anniversary of my Aunt Phyllis (whom I talked about last night) passing away from ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).  She was really a great lady - it just took me years to realize this.  When I was young she was kind of hard on me - wanted me to be very proper, speak with correct grammar, etc.  All the things a little brat from the country has no use for!  But, like my favorite teachers in grade school and high school, who were also hard on me, making me really work, she turned out to be my favorite aunt.  Yes, I realize she's also my only aunt, but I really did come to appreciate everything she did do for me!

I went to meet Mr. McFeely from "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" in Forest Park a few years ago when he was doing an appearance for Channel 9 (our local PBS affiliate).  I introduced myself, and as soon as I mentioned Phyllis' name, his eyes lit up and he immediately asked for my address.  He had a whole bunch of photos that were taken in 1971 when Phyllis was a guest on the show, playing her harp for Mr. Rogers (they were good friends, both being very interested in children's education) and wanted to send me copies.  I've got them around here somewhere, but I don't have a scanner.  I looked around online, but all I found was a blog with descriptions of all the "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" episodes.  Apparently she also played harp for some music on an episode in 1975. 

Anyway, today's stroke was inspired by her harp.  It's a little darker, but hey - it's all abstract, right?  You can use your imagination!  :-)  I miss you, Aunt Phyllis!

No comments:

Post a Comment