24 July 2010

Don Fransisco rocks my world!

Well, I've had an interesting 24 hours!  Last night I went over to my buddy Dan's place to do a little jammin' with some friends.  I've been in a couple of different bands with Danny since meeting him about 16 years ago.  We were in Free Dirt, Pathetica, Earl, Tuna Colada (a one-off all-star group made up of a bunch of people that used to play down at the old Way Out Club way back in the day), and Soul Food Cafe, with our buddy Andrew McMaster, who was also there last night. 

We just had a great time playing whatever we felt like - no agenda, no playlist, just whatever popped into our heads, whether it was an old Pink Floyd song or just some chord structure we came up with on the spot.  I'm sure that won't be the last time that happens - I think Danny was talking about doing it at least a couple of times a month, in fact.  I'd love it - gives me a chance to keep my chops up!

This morning I went over to Maplewood to the arts center so I could make up a class I missed last week.  I walked in and Annie (the instructor)had a whole bunch of framed artwork hanging.  They were all pieces from her Friday night special needs class, who recently had a showing during the Maplewood art fair.  I tell you what, people, there were some amazing pieces there!  These guys have some major talent!  And the thing that stands out to me the most is just the fact that they do art strictly because it makes them feel good.  They have absolutely no inhibitions!  There's a huge wall that we seem to build around us as we get older, and we tend to lose a lot of our creativity. 

We got to talking about this phenomenon and Annie told us about a little study that was done, in which they asked 5-year-olds "who can draw?".  Everyone was raising their hands.  Then they asked a group of 10-year-olds.  A few less raised their hands.  As the age of the group got higher, fewer and fewer people said they could draw, until there was no one who thought they could draw.  What happens between 5 and 25 that we lose all of this creativity?  It's sad, really!  I fight everyday to keep some sort of creativity, but I know that I'm just as guilty as the next person of building that wall, and caring too much about what is or is not going to "look good". 

I saw some of the most amazing artwork in there today - stuff that I wish I could do!  These people are awesome!

Anyway, after that, Jenny and I went over to our friends Tricia and Dan's house for the 7th birthday party of their son, Sam (Happy Birthday, buddy!).  It was really great to see them, as well as our other friends, Anne and Jason.  Tricia, Anne and Jenny have been friends since middle school, I believe. Maybe grade school - whatever - it's been a long time!

Dan and I have a lot in common - mostly music (Dan used to work in radio, including a stint as a DJ on KHITS a few years ago), but also just pop culture in general.  One thing we both really love and get a kick out of is a Spanish-language variety show called "Sabado Gigante".  This could very well be the best show in the history of television.  It has everything from musical acts to Benny Hill-esque comedy skits to ugliest dog contests, and even bikini/thong contests!  And it's so damned funny to hear them doing a live commercial,  speaking a mile a minute in Spanish, and then  you hear "State Farm", just as plain as day, with no accent whatsoever - they sound like they're from Minnesota all of a sudden!  Hilarious!

Anyway, to bring this mayhem to a close, I chose that beautiful cobalt blue for this evening's stroke.  It reminded me of the blue in the "Sabado Gigante" logo.  ESTA MUY BIEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment