01 July 2010

Blooooooooooooooooz!

No, I'm not depressed or anything - just figured I'd just stay with the theme I had inadvertently started this week with multiple vowels in the subject line. 

Back in college somehow I got hooked up with a guy named Greg Hunt with the St. Louis Blues Society, and was able to help out, being a drum tech (and just general backstage help) at the St. Louis Blues Heritage Festival (now known as the Big Muddy Blues Festival) for a few years.  I actually made a lot of great contacts through that, as well as getting to meet and work with some amazing musicians, many of whom were known worldwide.   Many of the greats from the St. Louis blues scene played there - Bennie Smith, Henry Townsend (who held the record for most decades releasing an album - he released one in every decade from the 20s up until his death in 2006 - 9 straight decades!), Etta James, Solomon Burke (who's drummer asked me to go on the road as his drum tech, but I declined in order to finish school - apparently I probably would have ended up just doing his laundry and stuff, anyway), and the always amazing jazz trumpeter/flugelhorn player Clark Terry.  

A couple I remember from elsewhere included Solomon Burke (who's drummer asked me to go on the road as his drum tech, but I declined in order to finish school - apparently I probably would have ended up just doing his laundry and stuff, anyway) and Coco Montoya.  I know there were many, many more, but we worked long, long hours - usually 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. or midnight 2 or 3 days in a row (plus free beer), and that was many, many moons ago, and I just don't remember them! :-)

Anyway, I had a great time doing that, and learned a lot, not to mention meeting people I still talk to today.  Today's stroke is for John May, Mark O'Shaughnessy, Tom "Papa" Ray, and all of the countless others with the St. Louis Blues Society who work their butts off to keep the blues alive in St. Louis and around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment