06 July 2010

None more black...

Today is the last day for KFUO FM, Classic 99 to be on the air.  I am very, very sad.  I know I've written about this before, thinking that the date was prior to this, but today is definitely the day.  Everyone on the station is giving their goodbyes, they're playing the best music ever, and it's just generally a big, emotional "Sayonara"!

I still cannot put into words how much this affects me.  I've listened to KFUO as long as I've been up here in St. Louis - almost 20 years now!    A little history:

My mother, Jo Ellen, was classically trained, as was her older sister, Phyllis.  Mom went on to be a music/band/choir teacher, and Phyllis went on to found the Three Rivers Young People's Orchestra, as well as to become the director of education at Carnegie Hall. Needless to say, there was a definite love for classical music instilled in my brain!

I remember going to Pittsburgh as a child (around 9 or 10 years old) to go to different camps - arts camps, music camps, etc.  We didn't have anything like that in Cassville - duh! - so Mom was glad to send us up to "the big city" to get some experience up there.  I tell you what, I learned so much up there it's not even funny!  I won't even go into all of it here, because it may incriminate some people (as well as being some good fodder for another blog, yo).

I remember very well being picked up by Aunt Phyllis at the airport there in Pittsburgh, and traveling back to her house.  Every single time on the radio she had either jazz or classical.  Mostly classical. Every time I hear classical music, really, I think of travelling with Phyllis to her house there in  Pittsburgh.  Makes me feel really good, actually.  One of these days I'll get back there to see that house.  I don't care what the family living there says, I really wanna see that house!

Well, I guess you're wondering what's up with the stroke tonight - it's black, which may upset my painting instructor, but I gotta stand by it.  It's in honor of the albums of "Beethoven's Fifth" that I've got upstairs.  I love to spin them when I can (and I can now, since I finally have a turntable again!).

God bless all of you at KFUO, and may you have a long career ahead of you!  And hopefully we'll have some classical music here in St. Louis really soon!  And now, off to have a good cry! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment