23 April 2010

"Deeeeeeeear Southwest Hiiiiiiiiiiigh"

I'm not even sure if my old high school even had a school song.  Any of you reading, if you know the answer to that, please let me know!  I was even in the pep band; we played all of the home games (all basketball - Southwest wasn't - and isn't now -   big enough for a football team, much to my dismay!) and I don't remember ever playing a school song.

It'll be 20 years next year since I graduated.  About a month after we graduated, my cousin Renae got married.  I remember not too terribly long after that, she told us that she was pregnant.  A little while later, Augusta was born.  And there was much rejoicing (Yay!)

Today I got a graduation announcement in the mail from Augusta.  Man, did that make me feel old!  I was so proud, though, and very honored that she thought enough of me to send one.  I moved up here to St. Louis right after Nae and Dale got married, so I was never really around Augusta or her little brother, Brice, who is a junior this year.  I had "met" them a couple of times, but it wasn't until I connected with them on Facebook that I really got to know Augusta as a person.  She is just a really cool girl in general!  She (along with her brother) does a lot with the Southwest Theater group, and was recently inducted into the National Honor Society,  which I just think is really awesome!  She was also accepted into the University of Arkansas, where she'll start this fall.  Needless to say, I'm just proud as all get-out of her!  I've really enjoyed getting to know her these past few months, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she does in the future!

Anyway, getting this graduation announcement made me want to throw some SW school colors down, so I mixed up a little dark grey and put a little scoop of the alizarin crimson on the brush with that, so that's what we've got tonight.  Gooooooooo, Trojans!

No comments:

Post a Comment