22 June 2010

Lithium, beryllium, lawrencim, rutherfordium, seaborgium - they're just making these up at this point, aren't they?

I drive a Honda Element.  We bought it back in '05, when they were still relatively new - they'd only been around a couple of years.  When they first came out both Jenny and I thought they were just ugly - we called them  "Boxes On Wheels".  A couple of years later they redesigned them, and made them a little more round, plus the Scion came out, and it was definitely a box on wheels.  I really needed a car, so we went on over to our friendly Honda dealer and looked around.

I had just started a (short-lived) job in construction, so I wanted something I could haul some things, but nothing too big (hence no pickup truck!), and I wanted something I could wash out easily (hence no CR-V, which was something I really liked), so the Element it was.  Of course another big selling point to me was the XM radio.  I'd wanted to try out satellite radio for a long time, and it came free for a few months.  Bonus!

So up until the last year or so, there still were very few Elements on the road, and it was almost like we who did own one were kind of a clique.  All over the place, when I would see one we would acknowledge each other, usually by flashing the peace sign, or at least waving - especially if we had the same color (in my instance, blue).  I always thought that was pretty cool.  Yeah, I'm easily amused. :-)

Now that there are a lot more Elements on the road, though, I don't see that as much.  I'll flash the peace sign to one every once in a while, but I don't get many responses any more.  Guess they're not quite as "underground", and therefor not as cool. 

I'm not really sure what all of this had to do with tonight's stroke, actually.  I dripped a nice little splotch of clear tar gel on there, with a drop of purple and that sparkly pink and swirled it around a bit.  I need to do a separate painting with the clear tar gel - that's some really cool stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment