28 June 2010

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well, the vuvuzelas at the World Cup weren't the only things a-buzzin' this weekend. It was time for big ol' Beeson Family Reunion (mom's dad's family).  Grandpa was one of fourteen kids born to Roy and Josie Beeson, and they grew up down in Cassville in a little white house about 5 miles east of town.   We've been getting together every even-numbered year since the early 50s (well, I missed the first 30 years for some reason).  There are only 9 of the original 14 siblings left, and they and all of their children (referred to as "The Cousins") live all over this country, but a good number of them make it back every reunion to celebrate the lives of Roy and Josie's bunch and to reminisce about the old days.

I never really got into these things until the last 10 years or so - when I was little I just didn't realize who all of these strangers were, and I missed quite a few of them after I moved up here to St. Louis.  Now I just love them - guess I'm getting older and I'm realizing more and more the importance of family.

We always get together Sunday morning to sing a few old hymns and for people to tell stories.  Uncle Don (the 10th one down the line) was talking about how interesting it was that their parents were both born around 1886, and both died (I believe) in 1969, so they got to witness the advent of the telephone, automobiles, radio and television, as well as seeing the first men in space.  They didn't quite get to see the first man landing on the moon, though.  Roy always said that he knew they'd make it up there, though.

He talked about how he remembered Leora (the 4th-born) buying them their first radio - how the battery was delivered first, and Roy didn't know what in the world it was for, then they got the actual radio, and they just wore it out!  Don said they rigged up their own antenna that went all the way out the house and was attached to the chicken house.  Called it "Chicken House Reception" - I thought that was great!

Oh, by the way, 2 things: the stroke today is black and yellow - two of the colors in the Beeson Family Crest, and also the other pic up there is a painting I did of "The Homestead" - the house in which they all grew up. I took it down there as a surprise and they loved it!  
Anyway, they're a great, hard working, bunch.  I know Roy and Josie would be so proud!  The reunion went by entirely too quickly, as usual, and I can't wait until the next one!  Many laughs, a few tears (of joy, mostly), a whole lotta hugs. I love my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment