10 June 2010

It's like rai-ee-ain...

Yeah, so, funny thing - I had this whole idea about what I wanted to write about this evening - even had a couple of great videos to illustrate my point - it was all about "Expressing yourself" (by the way I love this video - lotsa love goin' on!), whether through painting, or writing, or singing, or whatever - hell, I guess you can express yourself by just riding your bike, or getting a tattoo!  Just whatever it is you wanna do that's YOU, do it!

I find myself wanting to stray away from that concept quite a bit - another bit of irony!  If I'm playing a song, rather than taking it and making it my own, I sometimes find myself striving to play the song exactly like the recording!  That's no fun!  I know if I want to hear a cover of a song, I want to hear what someone else hears from it - their interpretation - not exactly what the original artist did!  If I wanted to hear the original artist, I'd buy their album!  There are so many examples of cover tunes being so much better than the originals - take the song "All Along The Watchtower", originally by Bob Dylan, then redone much more popularly by Jimi Hendrix.  As soon as Dylan heard Hendrix's version, he liked it so much he never played his own song how he wrote it again - only like Jimi played it.  Same thing with Nine Inch Nails' song "Hurt".  Johnny Cash redid it a few years ago (not too long before his death, actually) and I think the whole world (including Trent Reznor of NIN, who wrote the song) knew it was by far the better version. 

Well, anyway, the irony comes in here: I had no idea how to actually express myself today - my mind was just all over the place, and I couldn't concentrate, so I asked my lovely wife for some inspiration.  Today's stroke of green, albeit a somewhat small one, is an expression of Jenny, not me.  Still looks good, though!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment