20 June 2010

He's doing The Jerk, he's doing The Fly - Don't play him cheap 'cause you know he ain't shy...

A few years ago, Time magazine published a list of the Top 10 Television dads.  I'm familiar with all of them except for Tony Soprano - never saw that show.  My favorites were Cliff Huxtable, Al Bundy, and, of course, my man Homer Simpson!  A lot of people don't think of Homer as being a good dad, but as another survey ( which, I believe put Homer at #1 - I just can't find it online right now) stated, he may seem like a bad dad because of some of the idiotic things he does, with things going horribly wrong so much of the time, but when it all comes down to it, he really does have a big heart, and all he really cares about are his kids (and, of course Marge). 

This was a mixed-emotion Father's Day for Jenny and I.  We got to spend a couple of hours with her dad, who's doing much better!  Yesterday was really rough for him, and we were pretty worried about him.  Today, as soon as we walked in, we could tell he was better:  he was talking and joking around (he even called up a priest friend of his to wish him a "Happy Father's Day").  His color was so much better, and he was actually able to eat some solid food!  We were so happy for him! 

As happy as we were, though, it was hard for Jen, because we knew he obviously couldn't really enjoy the day because of where he was, and we couldn't be BBQ-ing or catching a Cards game or something, like we usually do. It'll be much better next year, though!  And I know we'll get to that game as soon as he's up for it, which shouldn't be too long the way he's going!

So today's stroke was not only inspired by Homer Jay Simpson, it actually ended up kind of looking like him, too!  I thought that was pretty cool! 

Oh, and before I forget, I hope all of you Padres out there had a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment