05 December 2010

Oh the weather outside is...

Friggin' freezing!

We got to spend the day with Sweet Pea.  Man, do I love doing that!  After church, we settled in to a nice couple of hours of Scooby Doo, and then playing "Poptropica" online.  It's a pretty cool game, albeit a bit frustrating because it's kinda hard to move the characters.  Or maybe it's just me - I was never any good at video games. 

After that we went with Jenny's good friend Anne and her 3 little boys over to Fontbonne University for their annual "Christmas Around Campus" festival.  We got there a little after 4 and headed straight to the line to take the kids on a horse and carriage ride.  I tell you what, I had long underwear on, plus 3 or 4 layers up top, and a heavy-duty winter coat, fleece gloves and scarf, and I was still absolutely freezing!  Man, do I hate cold weather!

After we finally got to ride on the big white carriage, pulled by "Chuckles" the horse, and they fed a few sheep, a donkey and a camel we made our way inside to try to warm up and to start the arts and crafts.  Actually it wasn't so much arts and crafts as much as giving the kids these big ol' frosted sugar cookies and letting them decorate them with all sorts of different candies - gummy bears, chocolate chips, etc.  Nothing like getting the kids up on a sugar high!  Oh, well - I guess the higher they are, the harder they'll fall!

From there we moved into the Dunham Student Activity Center (which houses the student union and the gymnasium).  The kids were able to do about 10 different games - ring tosses, skee-ball, throwing bean bags through holes, etc. to win small prizes.  Man, did those kids make off like bandits!  I was carrying all sorts of little prizes, plus coats and stuff while the kids played and rode the little train (time after time).

They had a blast, and so did we just watching them have a great time!  I think I've finally thawed out a bit.  Still, I did a light icy-blue stroke, because I'm pretty sure that's what color my skin was a few hours ago.  I wouldn't trade it for the world, though - I love to see kids smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment