16 December 2010

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

My Grandpa is a great man.  I'm learning this more and more as I age.  I always thought he was cool - never had any problems with him at all, really, unlike a lot of people who were exposed to their grandparents that much, especially at an early age (we lived with them for several months in 1980 when we moved back to Missouri from Virginia Beach).

Now Grandma, on the other hand - that was another thing.  We never seemed to see eye to eye.  I'm not really sure why, actually.  We just didn't.  Because of that we were never really that close, which is something I really regret.  She passed away in 1999, and I can remember very vividly not becoming emotional at all during her funeral.  About 6 months later I was on my way home from work, digging around in my glove compartment for a cassette tape to listen to, when I stumbled upon the tape of her funeral ceremony.

I popped it in, and I tell you what, if you would have seen me, you would have thought I was a 5-year-old girl who's kitten had just been stomped to death!  I was a friggin' blubbering idiot!  It took that long for it to sink in that I would never see this great woman again in my lifetime!  What really got me was the story that John Duncan (the pastor at First Baptist Church, where all of us went growing up) told about how my Grandpa met Grandma in Tulsa, and 3 months later they were married, and were so for 60+ years.  Holy cow - I get a bit verklempt just thinking about that!

That phenomenon is just amazing to me, really - knowing someone for so little a time before realizing that this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with!  That story is a major reason that Jenny and I strive to make sure that this marriage works.  We know we love each other more than anything, and we know that it takes a lot of work - I'm sure that G'ma and G'pa didn't see eye to eye every day from September 20, 1941 to January 13, 1999!

Anyway,  I did a little white swipe tonight, for the purity of the love that was had between Grandma and Grandpa.  I only wish that there could be more love like that in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment