22 December 2010

More great words from the Seuss-man...

"Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights."

From the brilliant brain of Theodor Geisel - Dr. Suess - from his wonderful book "Oh! The Places You'll Go".

Probably my biggest dream (aside from the whole "rockstar" thing I talked about the other day) is to be able to travel to every corner of the world.  I just want to see everything (mostly the warm places, of course - I've no desire to climb Mt. Everest, either).  I haven't really gotten to do a lot of traveling thus far - no money, no time; you know the story.   The most exotic place I've been is Piedras Negras,  in the state of Coahuila, in Mexico, right on the US border, across from Eagle Pass, Texas.

I have been able to go a few places here in the states: New York, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, and several other substantially smaller places.  

Jenny isn't quite as adventurous with her destination wish list as I am.  About the only thing we totally agree on is going back to Orlando, and New York, but also Europe.  We both want to go to Spain (she's been there, but would definitely go back), France, and England.  She really wants to go to Germany, though, since that's where her family is from.  I wouldn't mind seeing that, either!

What I really would love to be able to do, though, is to travel to places like Mexico (further down than just the border, as well as into Central and South America).  I'd love to see all the Mayan, Incan, and Aztec ruins!  I want to make it down to Australia, maybe go walkabout with Mick Dundee, then hit New Zealand.  Dunno. 

From there I'd love to make my way up through the South Pacific - Fiji, Bora Bora, Polynesia, Guam, etc.  I just imagine that places are among the most beautiful places in the world!  And I'd love to visit some of the littler islands that have barely been touched by man - that still look like they have for a thousand years!

Then I'd hang a left, and go north.  I really would love to see the Orient.  Vietnam, India, Singapore and Thailand I'd kinda like to see, but what I really want to see is Japan and China!  They just look like absolutely beautiful countries, and so rich in ancient culture!  I want to see not only the big cities like Tokyo and Shanghai, but the outer, more rural parts of both countries!  I'd love to check out Mt. Fuji in Japan and, of course, the Great Wall in China, among other things

I'd love to learn more (I say that like I've already been studying it) about the culture and the rituals of these amazing countries.  I just watched a movie today called "The Seventh Moon" which, while it was fabricated for the most part, was based upon an old Chinese superstition.   Seeing that really got me interested in checking out more of their mythology.  In fact today's stroke, a red and yellow squiggly one on the left side a little bit south of the middle was based on this little dude right here.  Maybe one day I'll get to see him in person.  Maybe make him dance!

At the end of the day, I just wanna be able to sing this song.  Maybe I can write a sequel about the whole wide world.

No comments:

Post a Comment