27 December 2010

Life is a state of mind...

So today was a movie day.  We did some running around this morning after JB and Robert left, but it wasn't long before we realized we were both just worn out from the whole weekend. 

Jenny started taking down a few of the Christmas decorations (which always depresses me) and I wasn't feeling the best, so I just phlumfed down on the couch and plopped in one called "Somewhere In Time", starring Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour.  Jenny and I had picked up this one at Blockbuster or Hollywood several times but never ended up renting it.  It's a time-travel-kinda movie, which I absolutely love, so when I saw that the library had it, I snagged it. 

Lemme tell ya, that one was quite disappointing.  There were a few things I liked, but for the most part, the former Superman came off like a complete stalker, and the movie just ended up not making a lot of sense. 

Next up was 1979's "Being There", starring Peter Sellers as Chance, the Gardener, a simple-minded gardener who has spent all his life in the Washington D.C. house of an old man. When the man dies, Chance is put out on the street with no knowledge of the world except what he has learned from television. After a run in with a limousine, he ends up a guest of a woman (Eve) and her husband Ben, an influential but sickly businessman. Now called Chauncey Gardner, Chance becomes friend and confidante to Ben, and an unlikely political insider. (synopsis stolen from IMDB, by the way - I could have written it all out, but this dude said pretty much what I wanted to say, and more succinctly, so there ya go!)

It was kind of like the forerunner to "Forrest Gump", in which a dude that really doesn't know what's going on is thrust into the world and experiences it all through very simple, innocent and naive eyes.  It's a beautiful, very funny movie, actually.  Sellers was nominated for an Academy Award for the role. 

Lastly, we watched "Did You Hear About The Morgans?", starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Hugh Grant (who I'm still shocked can still have a career after all of these years playing the exact same character.  Even Nicholas Cage has at least tried to do something different, although much to no avail).  It had a decent, albeit cliched, story line, but the dialogue - especially at the end - was just horrible!  And without giving any of the story away, I will tell you that it got all worked out in way too little time, and without real explanation.  I have seen a lot worse in a movie, though.  I didn't totally feel like I'd wasted and hour and forty minute of my life like I had on some other movies! :-)

Anyway, I think we're done movie-ing for the night.  I did a green stroke this evening for Chance's garden.  I wish life were as simple as he saw it!

No comments:

Post a Comment