04 November 2010

Remember those cool flip books you'd make as a kid?

We just got through watching the film "9".  Not "Nine", mind you, "9", the Tim Burton film.  I am just so amazed at what they can do with animation now; they've come so far since "Steamboat Willie"!  In "UP!", you can literally see the individual blades of grass moving in the wind - it all looks so real

I remember back in the mid 90s when "Toy Story" came out, and that just seemed to turn the whole world of animation on it's head - wow! the things you could do with computers!  And it didn't take 500 cels of animation to do one little move; you just had to know how to program a computer, which was a whole other can of worms, but whaddya gonna do?

I've always been a huge fan of animation, going back, of course, to my childhood and "Scooby Doo,Where Are You?" which was, and always will be my most favoritest show of all time.  Yes, even better than "Cop Rock".  :-) 

In the past decade or so, there's been quite a resurgence of animated movies and television shows for adults, rather than kids.  The kids have always had the Saturday morning thing going for them, so people like me needed some prime time stuff to entertain us!  There was, of course, "The Simpsons", which was drawn the traditional way, as were other programs, such as "King Of The Hill", and "Family Guy".  You also had other styles of animation, such as the cutout animation used for "South Park", and even claymation, made famous with shows like "Davey and Goliath", and also used in the "California Raisins" commercials in the late 80s, "Celebrity Deathmatch" on MTV in the late 90s, and in another show on Cartoon Network's late night "Adult Swim" broadcast, called "Robot Chicken" (which produced a really hilarious version of "Star Wars"). 

I really love all of this, of course, but don't get to watch as much as I'd like, because I also feel the need to have a life.  I will, however, leave you with one last link: this is just a computer-animated short film I stumbled across about a year ago.  This is one of the simplest, yet gut-wrenching-ly poignant things I've ever seen.  It's just so sad, but you're also happy at the same time.  It's also the inspiration for my light yellow stroke today.  I give you: KIWI!

No comments:

Post a Comment