23 November 2010

"At this point, I can't even see the nuts. They must have blown away. Oh here they are. Here come the nuts."

We got a bit of a head start today.  We always put up our tree and decorate it Thanksgiving afternoon after dinner and all that.  This year we're gonna have Jenny's mom over for "Thanksgiving Breakfast", and then we'll decorate while we watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  Man, do I love the parades, as cheezy (this one's for my wife) and commercial and plastic as they've gotten, they still remind me of when I was little and we'd watch them.

I was so excited in 1989 because my friend Wendy, a high school crush classmate of mine (:-D) was actually marching in the parade with the SMSU Marching Band.  We recorded it on the old VCR and ran it back and forth trying to get a better glance at her!  It was so cool that someone we knew was on national TV!

I love that you can still see the occasional "old school" balloon, your "Snoopy", "Charlie Brown" (trying once again to kick the ever-elusive football), "Kermit The Frog", "Bullwinkle", the "Turkey" float, and of course, Willard Scott.  I think what they mostly have anymore, though, is the newer stuff - your "Dora", "Spongebob", "Pikachu" (a phenomenon I will never understand!) and, finally after almost 4 decades of existence, a "Scooby Doo" balloon was added in 2005!  In between all of this is interspersed "live" (yeah, right!) performances by every obscure preteen and tween Disney star known to man.  Gads. 

Anyway, we went ahead and put the tree up today, which is why I went with green today.  Didn't put the ornaments on yet, though - that'll be our Thanksgiving Day project.  It just won't take quite as long, and we'll have more time to enjoy the parade and just be with family, which is what it's all about.

By the way, the title of today's posting is for Ma and the girls.  Can't wait to watch that movie with them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment