02 January 2011

You say you want a resolution, well, ya know...

I've never really been one to make New Year's Resolutions.  Most people resolve to lose weight, get in shape, make a budget, recycle more, get a new or better job, etc.  I never really got into that whole thing because I know myself too well, and I know that about 3 days into whatever resolution it was, it would go the way of the Dodo.  

I do believe I'll at least try one of those this year, though.  Can you guess which one?  :-)  Yes, I'm gonna try to recycle more.  Oh, and get a job.  Not just any job, though - the actual resolution part is going to be that I want to get a job doing something I enjoy for once - maybe even playing music!  I need to just buckle down and make a "Musical Resume", along with some audio samples of my work.  I also need to make myself network more! 

Another thing that I'm going to try to do for myself is to teach myself (or find some free classes) for some computer programs that I'd like to learn - some that would be beneficial to my job hunt, such as PowerPoint, Excel, Access, etc.  I also would like to learn a bunch of different audio and video programs, like Final Cut Pro (which, unfortunately, has two things going against it: it only runs on a Mac, and it costs well over $1000!), Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio, and CyberLink PowerDirector

When I first came up to St. Louis, it was to go to school to be an audio engineer.  Yeah, well, for different reasons, that didn't happen, and these days I'm kind of glad I didn't go that route, for the simple fact that it's become so mainstream for musicians to have their own studios that it's next to impossible to get a job at a studio unless someone dies or moves out of town!  A position that is in demand, however, is that of a video editor, hence my interest in learning all of those programs!  The programs in general are similar to those of audio engineering, so I kind of get the gist of them - I've just got to learn all the nuances and technical stuff. 

Anyway, these are my resolutions for 2011.  2010 kinda sucked, so I'm determined to make this a better year!  I went with a red stroke today, for the simple reason that when I did a Google image search for "New Year's Resolution", that was the color I saw the most of.  Now get to the gym, all you people that resolved to do that!  Quit slacking! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment