06 January 2011

I hate those meeces to pieces!

[Quick note - this post was, in fact, done last night - Blogspot suddenly went down, and I actually thought that I had lost it all!   It's back up this morning, so everything's hunky-dory!] 

Okay, so when writing about cartoons, everyone (including me) always focuses on the really big names - your "Scooby Doo", "Smurfs", "Bugs Bunny", and "Superman" kinda stuff.

I was watching some "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics" today (yes, really - I found a DVD of some episodes at the library) and started seeing all of these characters I had totally forgotten about: Jabberjaw (a shark who sounds and acts an awful lot like Curly from the Three Stooges), Augie Doggy and Doggie Daddy (Daddy's voice is modeled after Jimmy Durante), and Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinx (today's blog title was Jinx's catchphrase).

It got me thinking about what other lesser-known cartoons I enjoyed as a kid, but had forgotten completely about.  I used to love like "Fangface", "Godzilla", "Jeannie and Babu", "Speed Buggy", and "Grape Ape". 

They don't make cartoons like that anymore, ones that are just plain fun, and you don't have to think about them anymore.  The ones I've seen on Saturday mornings these days are all about stupid card games and really, they're so violent!  I mean there was always some violence back in the day, but it was always very, um, cartoonish!  There wasn't any gunfire, or people really trying to actually kill someone.   Characters got hit with pipes, fell off of cliffs, but there was never any actual fallout from it - the occasional stars or birds circling their heads, but they were always okay.

Oh, well, like they say,"You can't go home again".  I did a little light purple splotch for my buddy Grape Ape.  I do miss those shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment