04 January 2011

My Leetle Sister...

Today's post (brief as it may be) is dedicated to my little sister, Katie, who's birthday it is.  I tried to come up with one specific thing that she likes, or that reminded me of her, to write about, but there were just so many things.  Therefor I'll just list a few things that always make me think of her (in no particular order):

1. Comedian Henry Cho.  Back in the late 80s and early 90s there was a TV show late night on FOX called "Comic Strip Live" that featured up and coming comedians.  We would record them on the VCR and watch them over and over.  I can't remember a whole lot about it right now, but I definitely remember seeing Henry Cho.  He's a Korean who was born and raised in Knoxville, Tennessee.  I remember the first time I saw him, like everyone else, I was surprised as all get-out to hear a guy who looked like him speak in this huge Southern drawl!  He had a joke about his dad, who still spoke with a heavy Korean accent, looking at a menu in a restaurant, and telling the waitress he wanted "a quickie".  Henry quickly corrected him, saying, "Naw, dad, that's quiche!"

2. Jem and the Holograms.  I just remember Katie and Jo Beth both really loving this show.  I wasn't the biggest fan, but I will always think of both of the girls any time I hear a reference to that show.

3. John Hughes movies.  Pretty much all of them: Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Weird Science, and of course, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and many more.  We were constantly quoting these films.  If we were watching them, we could just turn the sound down and recite the script word for word.  They always had great soundtracks, so any time I hear any of the songs, I immediately think of Katie. 

She shares this birthday with Dave Foley from the comedy troupe Kids In The Hall, Michael Stipe, lead singer for R.E.M., former Miles Davis guitarist (who has had a heckuva career after that), John McLaughlin, and, the man, the myth, the legend, Sorrell Booke, who played "Boss Hogg" on "The Dukes Of Hazzard". 

Today I did a stroke of red and cobalt blue, two of her favorite colors.  Love you, Katie!

No comments:

Post a Comment